Strawberry Macaroon Napoleons
If you like coconut macaroons, whipped cream and red ripe strawberries, you are really going to love this layered dessert.
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or powder or seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
3 cups (about 1 pound) fresh California strawberries, stemmed and quartered
Sugar as needed
- To make Coconut Macaroons: Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 18 cupcake wells.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir together coconut and sugar. Stir in butter and then eggs, mixing until combined.
- Place 2 teaspoons of coconut mixture into each cupcake well. Using the back of a spoon dipped in water, press coconut mixture into the well so it completely fills the bottom.
- Bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let macaroons cool in the pans. With a small sharp knife or offset spatula, loosen macaroons from the wells and remove them.
- To make Chantilly Cream: Whisk cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. The cream should hold its shape but still be satiny in appearance.
- Gently toss prepared strawberries with enough sugar to sweeten as desired.
- To Assemble Napoleons: Place 1 macaroon on each of six dessert plates. Cover each macaroon with 1/4 cup strawberries and 2 tablespoons Chantilly Cream. Repeat layering with a second macaroon, 1/4 cup strawberries and 2 tablespoons Chantilly Cream. Top with a third macaroon. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.