Red, ripe strawberries are right at home nestled inside puff pastry with sweetened whipped cream and luscious fudge sauce. Cream puffs don't get much better than this!
2 pint baskets California strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1/2 cup water
1 /4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup prepared fudge sauce (see recipe for Quick Chocolate Fudge Sauce)
Powdered sugar for dusting
- In bowl toss strawberries with sugar, to taste; cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In 1-quart saucepan bring water, butter and salt to boil. Remove from heat; stir in flour all at once to blend thoroughly. Set over medium heat. Cook and stir until mixture pulls away from side of pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Thoroughly beat in eggs one at a time.
- Spoon batter in 6 equal mounds, spaced apart, onto lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in center of oven 20 to 25 minutes until puffs are evenly browned. Turn off oven. Remove from oven and with thin knife cut a slit in each puff. Return to oven for 10 minutes, then cool completely on rack.
- In bowl whip cream to form soft peaks; sweeten with sugar, to taste, and flavor with vanilla.
- To assemble, halve puffs horizontally with serrated knife. Fill puffs with whipped cream and some of the strawberries. Drizzle with fudge sauce, thinning with a little water, if needed. Cover with puff tops. Dust lightly with powdered sugar. Serve with remaining strawberries, and accompany with additional fudge sauce, if desired.
Makes 6 servings
Lowfat Variation: Substitute 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix made with 2 cups nonfat milk, as package directs, for the whipped cream. Substitute light fudge sauce for the fudge sauce.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 370 calories; 27 g fat; 150 mg cholesterol; 300 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 6 g protein. Low Fat Variation Per Serving: 240 calories; 10 g fat; 90 mg cholesterol; 510 mg sodium; 35 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 4 g protein.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003. All rights reserved. Used with permission.