Crisp rosettes of phyllo pastry filled with strawberries and chocolate and served atop a chunky strawberry sauce.
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs
6 phyllo pastry sheets (about 13 x 17-inches each)
Vegetable cooking spray
3 pint baskets California strawberries, stemmed and chilled - divided use
3 tablespoons grated semisweet chocolate
Strawberry Sauce (recipe follows)
Prepared lowfat whipped topping and mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
- In small bowl mix sugar and bread crumbs.
- Remove 6 phyllo sheets from package. (Freeze or refrigerate remaining phyllo.) Stack phyllo sheets and cut into halves with sharp knife to make 12 rectangles about 13 x 8 1/2-inches.
- For each rosette crisscross 2 of the rectangles; cover the others with plastic wrap then a damp towel. Coat crossed sheets with cooking spray, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sugar mixture. Place 5 medium strawberries in middle of cross; sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon chocolate. Gently pull up and gather phyllo to cover strawberries completely and form a rosette. Coat baking sheet with vegetable spray and transfer rosette. Repeat to make 6 rosettes. Cover gently but completely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 12 hours.
- Prepare, cover and refrigerate Strawberry Sauce.
- Fifteen minutes before baking preheat oven to 450°F (230°C) with rack in middle of oven.
- Bake rosettes 5 to 7 minutes, watching closely until browned and crisp.
- Meanwhile, spoon about 1/4 cup sauce on each of 6 plates. Top with hot rosettes. Dust with powdered sugar. Garnish with whipped topping and mint sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Strawberry Sauce: Slice enough of the whole strawberries to make 1/2 cup. Place remaining strawberries in blender container with 3 tablespoons sugar. Blend until smooth. Stir in sliced strawberries by hand. (Sweeten with additional sugar, if needed.) Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe; does not include garnish): 189 calories; 3 g protein; 3 g fat; 39 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 0 mg cholesterol; 117 mg sodium.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.