Shortbread, laced with grated semisweet chocolate, is the base for this delicious strawberry dessert.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ounce grated semisweet chocolate (about 1/3 cup)
1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
2 pint baskets fresh California strawberries sliced
Whole fresh California strawberry, for garnish
- In mixer bowl cream butter and sugar. On low speed gradually mix in flour and chocolate. Form dough into 2 balls, one a little larger than the other.
- On floured surface roll each ball to a circle about 7-inches in diameter (one should be thicker than the other). Using board spatula, gently transfer each circle to greased baking sheet. Prick surfaces generously with a fork.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°F) oven 20 to 30 minutes until just golden.
- While still warm, cut thinner circle into 8 equal wedges. Transfer all to rack to cool completely.
- To serve: Place shortbread circles on the plate. Top with whipped cream and sliced strawberries, reserving a dollop of cream for garnish. Set shortbread wedges into cream at an angle, points toward center. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and whole strawberry. Cut into wedges.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: Shortbread can be made ahead and stored for several days wrapped in plastic wrap, or frozen for longer storage.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.