Strawberry Shortcake with Fresh Sauce
Warm and tender, homemade shortcake biscuits, split and filled with strawberries and whipped cream, languish in a pool of sweet fresh strawberry sauce, topped with billowy dollops of whipped cream.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups cold whipping cream
Fresh Strawberry Sauce:
1 pint basket strawberries, stemmed and halved
3 tablespoons granulated sugar, or to taste
1 pint basket strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1 1/2 cups whipping cream, whipped and sweetened with sugar
6 mint sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- To Make Shortcakes: In bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Gently stir with fork, gradually mix in cream until just combined. Mixture should barely hold together. With hands, form dough into six balls; place 3-inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in center of oven 25 to 30 minutes until light golden brown; cool on baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, to make Fresh Strawberry Sauce, in blender container, purée strawberries until smooth. Sweeten to taste with sugar; cover and set aside.
- Split shortcakes horizontally. Divide sauce among six dessert plates; top each with a shortcake bottom, 1/4 cup sliced strawberries and 1/4 cup whipped cream. Cover with shortcake tops. Spoon remaining strawberries and whipped cream over shortcakes, dividing equally.
- Garnish with mint sprigs if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.