Strawberry Valentine Creme
A dazzling vanilla creme mold topped with sweet strawberry sauce. This delicious dessert can be made in any shape to fit the occasion.
1 (0.25-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup cold water
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups whipping cream - divided use
1 /2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (10-ounce) package frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed,
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For Vanilla Creme: In saucepan sprinkle gelatin over water, then dissolve over low heat. Stir into sour cream; set aside.
- In mixer bowl beat 1 cup of the whipping cream, gradually adding sugar, until soft peaks form. Stir in vanilla and sour cream/gelatin mixture to blend thoroughly.
- Pour into 1-quart heart-shaped mold, rinsed first with cold water. Chill until firm.
- Whip remaining cream, sweeten with additional sugar.
- Unmold gelatin mixture onto serving plate. Spoon some of the Strawberry Sauce over mold. Surround base with dollops of whipped cream. Pass remaining sauce separately.
- For Strawberry Sauce: In saucepan combine sliced strawberries with sugar and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and clear. Remove from heat. Mix in lemon juice; cool. Makes about 1 cup.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.