Sweet Potato Bread Pudding with Apple Cider Glaze
An extraordinary bread pudding that's sure to become a fall and winter favorite dessert. Recipe created by David Gallent.
3 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
5 cups cubed French bread, lightly packed
Apple Cider Glaze:
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons apple cider
2 tablespoons half-and-half (light cream)
- For Pudding: Combine eggs, sugar, and brown sugar in large bowl; beat until smooth with a whisk. Add half-and-half, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and grated sweet potato. Stir well. Add cubed French bread to egg mixture; stir until bread is well moistened. Cover and chill 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- Spoon bread mixture into a well greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet or a 11x7x2-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick, inserted into the center, comes out clean. Serve warm with Apple Cider Glaze.
- For Apple Cider Glaze: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring well. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Let stand 3 minutes. Serve warm over Sweet Potato Bread Pudding. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.