Triple Chocolate Hazelnut Torte
Three types of chocolate, ground hazelnuts, whipped cream and hazelnut liqueur all come together to make an incredible dessert torte.
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate - divided use
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 cup finely ground hazelnuts
1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur
4 ounces white chocolate
2 1/4 cups whipping cream - divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 9-inch springform pan with aluminum foil; set aside.
- Combine 4 ounces of the bittersweet chocolate with butter in a medium stainless steel bowl. Place bowl over a pot of barely simmering water, making sure that the bottom doesn't touch the water, and heat until the chocolate and butter are melted.
- Remove chocolate mixture from heat and stir in sugar. Add eggs and mix thoroughly. Add cocoa, nuts and liqueur.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool and then invert onto a plate.
- Meanwhile, combine white chocolate and 1/4 cup of the cream in another medium stainless steel bowl and place the bowl over the pot of simmering water, stirring until melted. Remove from heat and set aside to cool and thicken.
- Pour white chocolate mixture over the cooled cake and spread it to cover the top and sides. Refrigerate until set.
- Melt the remaining 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate in a stainless steel bowl over the pot of simmering water. Remove from heat and set aside.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, whip the remaining 2 cups cream until it holds soft peaks. Fold about one third of the whipped cream into the bittersweet chocolate. Gently fold in the remaining whipped cream and spoon onto the cake, spreading it over the top and sides. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Serve cake chilled with extra whipped cream.
Makes 9 servings.