Vanilla Cheesecake with Strawberries
Vanilla cheesecake in a bran crust with a double berry topping.
3 tablespoons bran flakes
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar - divided use
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 large egg whites
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup raspberry jam
- For Crust: Combine bran flakes with 1 tablespoon sugar in a food processor; process until fine. Sprinkle in a 9-inch springform pan coated with vegetable cooking spray; tilt to coat evenly; set aside.
- For Filling: In a large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add 1 cup sugar, egg yolks, vanilla, and salt. Beat until smooth. With an electric mixer on low speed, gradually add yogurt and flour.
- In another mixer bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff. Fold into the cream cheese mixture; pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 50 to 60 minutes, or until puffed and the top is golden and dry. Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake inside with the door closed for 30 minutes. Remove and cool completely. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- For Topping: Combine strawberries and raspberry jam in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat then cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and cook until thickened and bubbly, about 3 to 5 minutes. Force through a sieve over a small bowl and brush over the cheesecake. Refrigerate the cheesecake for 15 minutes, or until the glaze has set.
Makes 9 servings.