Whole Wheat Strawberry Shortcake
Whole wheat and honey take this classic American dessert in a healthier direction without sacrificing the essentials—sweet berries and scone-like cake to soak up the juices.
Whole Wheat Shortcake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream
4 cups strawberries, rinsed, hulled and halved
1/2 cup honey
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter a jelly roll (15x10x1-inch) pan; set aside.
- For Whole Wheat Shortcake: In a mixing bowl, combine flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda; stir in sour cream to make a slightly stiff dough.
- Form dough into a ball; center dough on prepared jelly roll pan and roll or pat to 1/2-inch thickness; you should have an approximately 14 x 9-inch rectangle. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- For Strawberries: Gently combine strawberries and honey in a medium mixing bowl.
- For Whipped Cream: Whip cream with honey until stiff.
- To prepare two layers from this shortcake hold a serrated knife so that the blade is parallel to countertop. Slice cake completely through so that you will have two very thin layers, each about 3/4-inch high and about 14 x 9-inches long and wide.
- Carefully set top layer aside; spoon half of strawberry mixture onto bottom layer. Replace top layer; spoon remaining strawberry mixture over it. Spoon a dollop of whipped cream on top of each.
Makes 8 servings.