Adrian Leon's Breast of Chicken
with Manchamantal Sauce (Red Mole)
An exquisite recipe for entertaining. A vast array of fresh Mexican ingredients are blended into a silky smooth sauce and served over succulent poached chicken breasts.
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, skinless and boneless
1 ounce guajillo, seeded and ed-veined
1 1/2 ounces anchos, seeded and ed-veined
1/4 cup fried plantains
1 tablespoon raisins
1 pound plum tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, roasted
1 stick Mexican cinnamon
1 slice bread or challah
2 cloves, whole
2 black peppercorns
1 allspice, whole
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 cup fresh pineapple
1 large apple, cored and coarsely chopped
7 cups chicken stock
1 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
- Boil water in a 3 quart sauce pan to soak the chiles.
- Blister the chiles on a dry Comal or cast-iron frying pan over medium heat. Place the chiles in a medium mixing bowl, pour the boiling water over and soak for 20 minutes.
- Remove chiles from water and use a blender with a little of the chile water, as needed, to purée.
- Press the blended mixture through a food mill or sieve to remove skins and set mixture aside.
- Heat the chicken stock in a heavy 4 quart pot.
- Poach the chicken in the stock over low heat for 35 to 45 minutes. Reserve the stock and set chicken aside on a plate.
- Roast tomatoes in a pan over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove tomatoes from pan to drain. Roast onions and garlic in same pan.
- Blend tomatoes, fried plantains, raisins, garlic, bread, cinnamon, peppercorns, allspice, salt and 2 cups of the reserved stock until puréed and smooth, place in bowl and set aside.
- Purée pineapple and apple together and set aside.
- Heat the sunflower oil until smoking in a heavy 6 quart stockpot and pan fry the chile mixture. Stirring constantly for 10 to 15 minutes add the blended tomato mixture and continue to cook and stir for about 10 minutes, add the Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and keep frying 15 more minutes(thin with stock as needed). Stir in the pineapple and apple purée. Continue cooking until the mole is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Place chicken in a wide bowl and ladle the mole over it.
Makes 6 servings.
Tips: Reheat chicken in the reserved stock if necessary. Serve with fresh tortillas if available.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 310; Calories from Fat: 130; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 55mg; Sodium: 1830mg; Total Carbs: 21g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 11g; Protein: 25g.
Exchanges per Serving: 3 Very Lean Meats, 2 Fats, 1 Fruit, 1 Vegetable.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.