Adrian Leon's Grilled Hanger Steak served with
Bone Marrow Marmalade
Chef Adrian Leon produces a gourmet meal with a wonderful range of fine ingredients. A prime cut of beef is grilled and served with small potatoes and a tangy fruit sauce.
8 bone marrow bones
1 cup white flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
3 bay leaves
8 cloves garlic
1/2 cup celery
2 cups beef stock
1/2 cup red wine, alcohol free
32 ounces hanger steak
1 cup parsley, coarsely chopped leaves
1 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped leaves
4 sprigs thyme, stems removed and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh papaya, peeled and diced
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 teaspoon habanero pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- For Marrow: Dust bones with flour and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover the bottom of the frying pan with vegetable oil and cook the bones over medium heat, turning them until browned.
- Transfer the bones to a baking dish with 3/4 of the onion, 2 bay leaves, 4 garlic cloves, celery, fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste. Add beef stock and red wine and cover with aluminum foil, then roast bones for 3 hours.
- Pull roasting pan from oven and place bones aside to cool.
- Drain the surface fat and strain stock into a sauce pan over medium heat, reducing stock to one quarter. When bones are cool, scoop out and add marrow to reduced stock and set aside.
- For Marinade: Purée the 4 remaining garlic cloves with the remaining onion, oil, bay leaf, thyme, parsley and cilantro in blender. Season the purée with salt & pepper. Place steaks in a dish and rub marinade over steaks. Cover the dish and refrigerate the steaks for about an hour.
- For Marmalade: Combine water, orange juice, papaya, Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and habanero in a sauce pan over medium heat until boiling. Lower the heat and cook for about 8 more minutes while stirring. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Pour marmalade mixture into blender and mix until smooth. Strain with a china cap or fine sieve. Stir in bone marrow stock to finish marmalade.
- For Potatoes: Place potatoes in a roasting pan and toss with olive oil. Season the potatoes, to taste, with salt and black pepper, then roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes at 350°F (175°C). Remove from oven and cool for a couple minutes. Cut potatoes in half.
Steaks: Grill steaks to desired doneness.
- Serve potatoes on a platter topped with steaks and drizzle marrow marinade on top.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Calories: 320; Calories from Fat: 150; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 45mg; Sodium: 140mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 4g; Protein: 22g.
Exchanges per Serving: 3 Lean Meats, 2 Starches, 2 Fats, 1/2 Vegetable.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.