Adrian Leon's Grilled Shrimp with
Pineapple and Calabaza Stew
Before it is grilled, shrimp is marinated with cooked pineapple, onions and garlic in a jalapeño, vinegar and cilantro mixture. Served with a squash stew — this is truly an exquisite recipe from Chef Adrian Leon.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 cloves garlic
2 cups chopped white onions
12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup fresh pineapple, diced
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano
1 jalapeño, roasted and skinless (optional)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1 quart water
3 ears fresh corn
2 poblano peppers
1 tablespoon margarine
1 pound calabaza (pumpkin-like squash), peeled and medium diced
2 sprigs fresh epazote (found in Mexican Markets)
1 cup light sour cream
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Marinade: Sauté 2 sliced garlic cloves, 1/3 cup onions and pineapple in olive oil to light golden brown.
- Add pineapple juice, Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and oregano and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool. When cooled add roasted skinless jalapeño, vinegar and cilantro. Mix everything together with a blender. Toss the shrimp with the marinade and refrigerate in a covered medium bowl for at least one hour.
- For the squash: Remove corn kernels from the cob and save the cobs (you should have about 2 cups of kernels).
- Place corn cobs and 1 quart of water in a 4 quart stockpot. Bring stockpot to a boil and reduce the heat to medium, simmer for 15 more minutes. Strain the corn stock and set aside.
- Grill the poblanos over an open flame until they are charred. Put them in a plastic bag to sweat, about 4 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and discard (do not wash the chiles with water, this will reduce the flavor). Cut the chiles into 1/4 inch strips (Rajas).
- Cook 1 2/3 cups onions and margarine until translucent (about 2 minutes) in a 4 quart heavy stockpot (cazuela or deep cast-iron frying pan) over medium heat.
- Stirring occasionally, add corn kernels, diced squash and 6 cloves of garlic.
- Continue cooking for another 10 minutes then add epazote (or cilantro) and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove pan from heat and mix in sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill shrimp for a minute each side or pan fry similarly. Season with salt and pepper and serve over squash.
- Serve squash stew on a platter with grilled shrimp on top.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 390; Calories from Fat: 80; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 95mg; Sodium: 340mg; Total Carbs: 57g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugars: 25g; Protein: 24g.
Exchanges per Serving: 3 Starches, 3 Lean Meats, 1 Fat.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.