Adrian Leon's Huitlacoche Quesadilla
(Mexican Mushrooms Quesadilla)
Huitlacoche is a Mexican delicacy and Chef Adrian Leon combines it with field and shiitake mushrooms, onions, garlic and corn to create a smoky-sweet filling for freshly made tortillas.
1 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/2 pound mushrooms (field and shiitake)
1 (7-ounce) can huitlacoche
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon margarine
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons fresh parsley
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 (12 ounce) container cottage cheese
3 cups masa-harina for tortillas
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups warm water
- For the Filling: Cook the onion with the oil and butter for 5 minutes in an 8 inch cast-iron frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and huitlacoche and continue cooking for 7 minutes. Add Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and corn and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, cilantro and parsley and set aside.
- For the Masa: Preheat a 10-inch comal (griddle or cast-iron frying pan) over medium heat.
- Mix masa-harina with salt and 1 3/4 cups of warm water to make soft but not dry dough. Divide the dough into 20 balls; shape each ball into a 5 inch long by 1 1/2 inches wide log.
- Place a log between two sheets of plastic, put it in a tortilla press and press down. If you do not have a tortilla press, press with your hand and create an oval shape, turn it and press on the other side.
- Remove the plastic and place over the preheated griddle. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until it starts to brown and removes easily form the griddle without braking.
- Top each tortilla with the filling and cheese, fold and serve.
Makes 10 servings.
Tip: Pre-made corn tortillas can also be warmed and filled in place of the fresh masa recipe.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 recipe or 2 quesadillas): Calories: 210; Calories from Fat: 50; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Sodium: 570mg; Total Carbs: 32g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugars: 2g.
Exchanges per Serving: 1/2 Medium Fat Meat, 2/3 Fat, 2 Starches.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.