Adrian Leon's Tostadas
with Hamachi Marinated in Marmalade
Handmade tostada shells are topped with marinated fish, lettuce, tomatoes and cilantro to make an elegant summer meal.
1 clove garlic
1/3 cup chopped white onions
1 tablespoon red peppers
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon chopped habanero peppers
1/4 cup fresh papaya
1/4 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 pound tortillas, cut in triangles
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
12 ounces hamachi fillet cut in 1/2 inch squares
1/2 cup diced romaine lettuce
1/2 pound queso fresco (fresh cheese) finely grated
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup dice tomatoes (outer part only)
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cook garlic, onions, and red peppers with olive oil until golden brown. Add habanero peppers, fresh papaya, Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, orange juice and cook on medium heat for about 8 minutes. Remove marmalade from heat and mix it in a blender until smooth.
- Strain the marmalade mixture into bowl with a china cap or sieve.
- Make tostadas in an 8 inch cast-iron frying pan by frying in oil, on medium heat, for 3 minutes. Remove and drain well on paper towels.
- Mix the hamachi and the marmalade.
- Top each tostadita (fried tortillas) with hamachi, romaine lettuce, tomatoes and cilantro. Sprinkle lightly with cheese. Finish with a touch of sour cream and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Hamachi can be replaced with any number of fish prepared to be eaten raw. If yellow-fin isn't available try swordfish.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 recipe): Calories: 470; Calories from Fat: 190; Total Fat: 21g; Saturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 75mg; Sodium: 320mg; Total Carbs: 39g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugars: 6g; Protein: 32g.
Exchanges per Serving: 3 1/2 Lean Meats, 1/2 Fruit, 2 Starches, 2 Fats.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.