Apple Cinnamon Coffeecake
Diabetic-friendly, low-fat apple cinnamon coffeecake.
Coffee Cake Topping:
1/2 cup Splenda® Granular
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup reduced calorie margarine, melted (25% less fat and calories)
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Splenda® Granular
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons reduced calorie margarine (25% less fat and calories)
1/2 cup softened reduced calorie margarine (25% less fat and calories)
3/4 cup egg substitute at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Splenda®Granular
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup fat-free milk at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°). Spray 9x9x2-inch metal baking pan with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.
- For Coffee Cake Topping: In a medium bowl, combine Splenda® Granular, flour, cinnamon and margarine. Stir until well blended.
- Separate mixture into small clumps, approximately 1/4 teaspoon each and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Crumble into fine, uniform texture. Set aside.
- For Apple Layer: In a medium bowl combine apple pieces and lemon juice. In small bowl, stir together flour, Splenda® Granular and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apples and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add melted margarine to mixture and stir until combined. Set aside.
- For Cake Layer: In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine with an electric mixer on high speed for 1 minute. Add egg substitute and beat on high for 1 minute. Add Splenda® Granular and beat on medium speed until thoroughly blended, about 1 minute.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add 1/2 cup of the flour mixture into the margarine/egg mixture. Beat on low speed until ingredients are blended.
- Add 1/4 cup fat-free milk to above mixture. Beat on low speed until ingredients are blended.
- Add another 1/2 cup of the flour mixture to above mixture. Beat on low speed until ingredients are blended.
- Add remaining fat-free milk to mixture. Beat on low speed until ingredients are blended.
- Add remaining flour mixture to the mixture. Beat on low speed until ingredients are blended.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Spread apple layer evenly over cake layer. Sprinkle topping over apple layer and press in lightly.
- Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories 140, Carbohydrates 18 g, Protein 4 g, Dietary Fiber 1 g, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 260 mg.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.