Apple Cranberry Streusel Pie
Colorful pie that pairs seasonal cranberries and apples. Crunchy topping adds to the overall crisp texture. Serve warm topped with frozen vanilla yogurt.
Pastry for single crust 9-inch pie
1 cup Equal® Spoonful*
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen, thawed cranberries
1 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
1/4 cup Equal® Spoonful**
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 cups sliced, cored, peeled Granny Smith or other baking apples (about 5 medium)
1/4 cup quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Equal® Spoonful***
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons cold stick butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- For Pie Filling, roll pastry on floured surface into circle 1-inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into plate; trim and flute edge. Set aside
- Combine 1 cup Equal® and cornstarch in small saucepan. Stir in cranberries and apple cider. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Combine 1/4 cup Equal®, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; sprinkle over apples in large bowl. Toss to coat. Pour cranberry mixture over apples and mix gently. Arrange fruit in pie pastry.
- For Streusel Topping, combine oats, flour, 1/2 cup Equal®, cinnamon and nutmeg in small bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit in pie pastry.
- Bake pie in preheated 400°F oven 50 to 60 minutes or until pastry is golden and apples are tender. Cover pie loosely with aluminum foil during last 20 to 30 minutes of baking time if browning too quickly. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 servings.
*May substitute 24 packets Equal sweetener.
**May substitute 6 packets Equal sweetener.
***May substitute 12 packets Equal sweetener.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of pie): calories 227, protein 2 g, carbohydrate 33 g, fat 11 g, cholesterol 20 mg, sodium 151 mg.
Food Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch, 2 fat.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.