Apricot-Almond Coffee Ring
Diabetic-friendly recipe for apricot and almond coffeecake.
1 cup dried apricots, sliced
1 cup water
3 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 12 packets Equal® sweetener or 1/2 cup Equal® Spoonful™
1/8 teaspoon ground mace
1 (16-ounce) loaf frozen Italian bread dough, thawed
1/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1 teaspoon Equal® for Recipes or 3 packets Equal® sweetener or 2 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™
- Heat apricots, water, 3 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 12 packets Equal® sweetener or 1/2 cup Equal® Spoonful™ and mace to boiling in small saucepan; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until apricots are tender and water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Simmer, uncovered, until no water remains, 2 to 3 minutes. Cool.
- Roll dough on floured surface into 14 x 8-inch rectangle. Spread apricot mixture on dough to within 1-inch of edges; sprinkle with 1/4 cup almonds. Roll dough up jelly roll style, beginning with long edge; pinch edge of dough to seal. Place dough seam side down on greased cookie sheet forming circle; pinch ends to seal.
- Using scissors, cut dough from outside edge almost to center, making cuts 1-inch apart. Turn each section cut side up so filling shows. Let rise, covered, in warm place until dough is double in size, about 1 hour.
- Brush top of dough lightly with milk; sprinkle with remaining almonds and 1 teaspoon Equal® for Recipes or 3 packets Equal® sweetener or 2 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™.
- Bake coffee cake in preheated 375°F (175°C) oven until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 154 cal., 4 g pro., 27 g carbo., 3 g fat, 0 mg chol., 180 mg sodium.
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit, 1 Bread, 1/2 Fat.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.