Dress up your cookie tray with alfajores, these traditional celebration cookies are filled with dulce de leche and covered in coconut.
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dulce de leche
1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cream butter in a bowl of an electric mixer on high speed until soft and fluffy. Reduce speed to low, add vanilla and Splenda® Granulated Sweetener. Mix until well blended. Add lightly beaten yolks and lemon zest, and mix until combined.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Add slowly to the egg mixture while mixing on low speed. Mix on low just until the dough starts to form a ball. Remove dough from mixer and place on a floured work surface.
- Roll dough 1/4-inch thick. Cut 36 circles using a 2-inch cookie cutter. Place cookies on baking sheets lined with parchment paper 1 inch apart.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until done. Place hot cookies on wire cooling rack and cool completely.
- Spread dulce de leche on 18 cookies. Place the remaining cookies on top to create 18 sandwiches. Roll cookies in coconut, coating the sides.
Makes 18 sandwich cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 sandwich cookie): Calories 270 | Calories from Fat 120 | Fat 13g (sat 8g) | Cholesterol 65mg | Sodium 135mg | Carbohydrates 36g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 10g | Protein 3g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.