Baked Salmon with Orange-Ginger Sauce
Fresh salmon fillets are baked on a bed of vegetables and topped with a fragrant ginger citrus sauce.
2 1/2 inch piece fresh gingerroot
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
2 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 cups frozen stir fry vegetable blend
2 (4 ounce) salmon fillets
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Make sauce. Peel gingerroot and slice into 10 slices. Pour orange juice into a small saucepan. Add Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and ginger root. Bring to a rolling boil over medium high heat. Boil 10 to 12 minutes or until orange juice has reduced to approximately 2 tablespoons. Remove sauce from heat.
- Remove ginger slices using a fork and discard. Set sauce aside.
- Mix together the half-and-half, cornstarch and salt. Set aside. Whisk the softened butter, one Tbsp. at a time, into the 2 tablespoons of orange juice. Stir until melted. Add half and half mixture. Stir well. Place saucepan back on heat. Heat over medium- high heat until boiling.
- Remove sauce from heat and mix in a blender 15 to 20 seconds or until smooth and lighter in color. Set aside.
Prepare salmon. Place vegetables in an 8x8 inch-baking pan. Place salmon fillets on top of the vegetables.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked through, but still tender.
- Place vegetables and salmon on serving plates. Pour sauce over salmon. Serve immediately. Serve with steamed rice, if desired.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 of recipe): Calories: 440; Calories from Fat: 180; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 95mg; Sodium: 440mg; Total Carbs: 38g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugars: 14g; Protein: 30g.
Exchanges per Serving: 4 Lean Meats, 3 Fats, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fruit.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.