Banana and Cream Cheese Empanaditas
These tiny turnovers with a sweet banana and cream cheese filling are perfect for an afternoon snack or a festive dessert.
4 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese at room temperature
1/4 cup Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 bananas (ripe but still firm)
1 large egg
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour for dusting
2 chilled pre-made rolled pie crusts
3 teaspoons Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cream cheese, Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend and lemon zest to make filling. Mix until smooth and creamy. Cut bananas into small pieces and fold into cream cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Beat egg and water together to make egg wash.
- Dust flour over a clean work surface.
- Unroll pie crust. Cut 7 circles out of each crust using a 4-inch round cookie cutter.
- Fill each circle with one tablespoon of filling. With a pastry brush, brush the outer edges with the egg wash. Fold dough to make a half moon shape. Seal the empanada by pressing with a fork along the edges. Brush whole surface with egg wash and lightly sprinkle with Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend. Repeat with remaining pie crust. Place empanadas on baking sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to cooling rack. Serve warm.
Makes 14 empanaditas.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 empanadita): Calories 190 | Calories from Fat 90 | Fat 10g (sat 3.0g) | Cholesterol 20mg | Sodium 160mg | Carbohydrates 21g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 8g | Protein 3g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.