Banana Pecan Waffles with Rum Raisin Syrup
A delightful diabetic-friendly brunch dish perfect for special occasions.
Rum Raisin Syrup:
2 cups Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 cup light brown sugar
6 tablespoons dark rum
6 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup raisins
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 large eggs, separated
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- To prepare the syrup: Combine Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and brown sugar in a small saucepan and whisk in the rum and water.
- Place over high heat and bring to a boil; let boil approximately 30 seconds, making sure the sugars have dissolved. Remove from the heat and add vanilla, cinnamon sticks and the raisins. Let cool while preparing waffles.
- To prepare waffles: Sift together the first five ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix in the pecans.
- Separate eggs. Beat the egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk, melted butter and mashed bananas. Stir in the dry ingredients until just moistened; do not beat.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites gently into the batter. Pour the batter into a preheated lightly oiled or nonstick waffle iron and cook until golden brown but still moist inside, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks from the rum raisin syrup and pour syrup over warm waffles.
Makes 8 servings. Serving Size: 1 waffle, 1/4 cup syrup.
Note: For dietary purposes, please note that this recipe contains alcohol.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 540 | Calories from Fat 150 | Fat 17g (sat 7g) | Cholesterol 105mg | Sodium 540mg | Carbohydrates 83g | Fiber 3g | Sugars 49g | Protein 10g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.