Bill Yosses' Gingerbread Cookies
Chef Bill Yosses recipe for spicy, diabetic-friendly gingerbread cookies.
3/4 cup dark molasses
3/4 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat molasses, margarine or butter, brown sugar, and Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking, in a saucepan until it boils, stirring to blend well. Remove from heat and allow cooling.
- Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Add egg to molasses mixture and stir this into the flour mixture until smooth. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll dough out between two pieces of floured plastic wrap, from 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness, and cut out gingerbread man shapes with floured 4x6 shaped cookie cutter. Re-roll dough as little as possible for consistent texture.
- Lift cookies with thin spatula onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from sheet and allow to cool.
- Decorate gingerbread cookies as desired.
Makes 16 cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe; 1 cookie): Calories 240 | Calories from Fat 120 | Fat 13g (sat 8g) | Cholesterol 90mg | Sodium 180mg | Carbohydrates 20g | Fiber 0g | Sugars 12g | Protein 7g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.