Bill Yosses' Lemon Pound Cake
A rich textured buttery cake is enhanced with pieces of fresh lemon and served with a sweet glaze and raspberry coulis.
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup heavy cream
6 large eggs
11 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons Splenda® Sugar Blend
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan, line with parchment or waxed paper. Grease paper.
- Prepare lemon segments. Grate zest of 4 lemons; slice tops and bottoms off 3 (reserve fourth). Stand lemons on end on a cutting board, and cut away white pith until the flesh is exposed. Over a bowl, cut segments from membranes, letting fruit and juice fall into bowl (remove seeds). With fork, break segments into 1-inch pieces.
- Sift flour, Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking, and baking powder into the bowl of an electric mixer. Begin mixing on low speed then add cream or crème fraîche. Increase speed to medium, and beat in eggs, one at a time, then butter.
- Fold lemon segments, juices, and 3 tablespoons zest gently into batter. Scrape into pan. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Make the glaze while the cake is baking. JUICE and zest the remaining 6 lemons. Put Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking in a pot, and add 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Stir in lemon juice and remaining zest, and let cool.
- Place cake pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes when cake is done.
- Adjust oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- Unmold cake, and transfer it to a pie pan or deep dish. Pour lemon syrup over cake, and very gently squeeze the cake to help it absorb syrup. Carefully turn cake upside down in syrup, and squeeze a bit more. Put cake on a baking sheet; return to oven for 10 minutes to “set” the glaze.
- Cool on a rack while making coulis.
- For Raspberry Coulis: Combine Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking with 1/4 cup water in a small pot and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cool completely.
- Purée raspberries and syrup in a blender, then strain through a fine sieve. Serve cake with raspberry coulis either pooled around or over the plated slice.
- Serve cake with raspberry coulis either pooled around or over the plated slice.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories 340 | Calories from Fat 130 | Fat 14g (sat 8g) | Cholesterol 115mg | Sodium 55mg | Carbohydrates 42g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 24g | Protein 5g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.