Boston Cream Pie
This classic dessert is really a cake filled with a thick custard layer and glazed with shiny chocolate.
1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Splenda® Sugar Blend
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons whipping cream
4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Cake Directions: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease and flour 2 (8-inch) cake pans. Set aside.
- Combine flour, Splenda® Sugar Blend, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a fork or a pastry blender until crumbly. (This procedure may be done with a mixer at the lowest speed. Cover mixing bowl with a clean tea towel to prevent spattering).
- Combine eggs, milk, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl; add 1/3 of the egg mixture to flour mixture. Beat at low speed of an electric mixer until blended. Beat at medium speed for 30 seconds or until batter is smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl. Repeat procedure 2 times.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
- Custard Directions: Combine Splenda® Sugar Blend, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy saucepan, mixing well. Gradually whisk milk into Splenda® Sugar Blend mixture. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale. Gradually whisk 1/2 cup of hot custard mixture into yolks; return to remaining hot custard mixture, whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until mixture comes to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, gently pressing on filling. Cool slightly.
- Glaze Directions: Heat whipping cream in a small saucepan until cream is thoroughly warmed; stir in chocolate. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate melts.
Spread custard filling between layers. Spread Chocolate Glaze over top.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 280 | Calories from Fat 120 | Fat 13g (sat 7g) | Cholesterol 95mg | Sodium 280mg | Carbohydrates 34g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 16g | Protein 5g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.