Candied Sweet Potato Casserole
These sweet potatoes are baked in a sweet cinnamon sauce and topped with marshmallows.
4 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes
3/4 cup light butter
1/3 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
2 tablespoons molasses
2 cups miniature marshmallows - divided use
1 pinch ground cinnamon to taste
1 pinch ground nutmeg to taste
- Preheat oven to 155°F (205°C). Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil sweet potatoes until slightly underdone, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, and peel.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, molasses, and 1 cup marshmallows. Season with cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until marshmallows are melted.
- Stir potatoes into marshmallow sauce. While stirring, mash about half of the potatoes, and break the others into bite-sized chunks. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and cover top evenly with remaining marshmallows. Return to oven, and bake until marshmallows are golden brown.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 230 | Calories from Fat 60 | Fat 6g (sat 3.5g) | Cholesterol 15mg | Sodium 160mg | Carbohydrates 44g | Fiber 5g | Sugars 18g | Protein 3g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.