Canned Fresh Summer Peaches
Enjoy the flavor of a summer day with containers of these sunny fruits on your pantry shelf. Use wide mouth quart jars for this recipe.
4 quarts water
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 1/2 pounds peaches
4 cups water
1 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
- Wash jars and lids in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Fill boiling-water canner half full with water; add jars and water to cover. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Place lids in water to cover in a small saucepan; bring water to a simmer. Simmer until ready to use. Remove and drain jars and lids, one at a time, as needed for filling.
- Combine 4 quarts water and 1/2 cup lemon juice and in a large bowl; set aside. Fill a Dutch oven 3/4 full with water; bring to a boil. Immerse peaches for 20 seconds or until skins easily peel away; remove with slotted spoon and plunge into ice water. Slip skin off peaches using a paring knife. Cut peaches in half; remove pits. Place peach halves in the lemon juice and water solution to prevent browning.
- Combine 4 cups water and Splenda® Granulated Sweetener in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn off heat; cover saucepan to keep syrup hot.
- Drain peaches; place into prepared jars; ladle syrup into jars, filling to within 1/2-inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on rack in canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil.
- Process 25 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing center of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.) Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year. Once opened, store refrigerated and use within 1 week.
Makes 24 servings. Serving Size: 1/2 peach; Yield: 3 quart jars.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 peach): Calories 20 | Calories from Fat 0 | Fat 0g (sat 0g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 10mg | Carbohydrates 5g | Fiber 0g | Sugars 5g | Protein 0g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.