Cheery Cherry Pie
Can a cherry pie this easy and good possibly be made without sugar? Yes it can!
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
2 (14.5-ounce) cans pitted tart red cherries, undrained
2/3 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
4 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Unfold 1 pie crust; press out fold lines. Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions.
Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup juice; set fruit aside.
- Combine Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; gradually stir reserved juice into Splenda® Granulated Sweetener mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, almond extract and food coloring, if desired.
- Fold in reserved cherries; cool slightly. Spoon mixture into pastry shell.
- Unfold remaining pie crust; press out fold lines. Roll to ?-inch thickness. Place over filling; fold edges under and crimp. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden. Cover edges with aluminum foil to prevent over browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack one hour before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 290 | Calories from Fat 130 | Fat 14g (sat 6g) | Cholesterol 10mg | Sodium 210mg | Carbohydrates 39g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 10g | Protein 3g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.