Use a cherry pitter or the tip of a vegetable peeler to remove the pits. A hint of almond extract enhances the fruit flavor of this ruby red jam.
3 1/2 pounds sweet cherries
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 (1.75 ounce) package low methoxyl pectin with calcium *
3/4 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Wash jars and lids in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Fill boiling-water canner half full with water; add jars and water to cover. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Place lids in water to cover in a small saucepan; bring water to a simmer. Simmer until ready to use. Remove and drain jars and lids, one at a time, as needed for filling.
- Pit cherries; place in food processor bowl. Process in batches until coarsely chopped. Measure exactly 4 cups of fruit.
- Combine cherries, lemon juice, and pectin in a large saucepan; stirring until blended. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bring mixture to a full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) over medium-high heat. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, stirring until Splenda® Granulated Sweetener dissolves. Skim off any foam with metal spoon. Stir in extract, if desired.
- Ladle hot jam immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/4-inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil.
- Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing center of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.) Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year. Once opened, store refrigerated and use within 2 weeks.
Makes 64 (1 tablespoon) servings. Yield: 4 half-pint jars
*If using a pectin product with separate pectin and calcium packets, follow the package directions to mix calcium water. Use 2 tablespoons pectin powder and 2 tablespoons calcium water. Follow package directions for preparing recipe.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 tablespoon): Calories 20 | Calories from Fat 0 | Fat 0g (sat 0g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 0mg | Carbohydrates 5g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 4g | Protein 0g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.