Chicken Madeira on Herbed Biscuits
Chicken and mushrooms in wine sauce served over tender herbed biscuits.
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 1/2 cups quartered fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup low-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons Madeira or dry sherry
1 3/4 cup biscuit mix
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/2 cup skim milk
Green onions, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- For Chicken Madeira: In a large skillet cook chicken in oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken; set aside.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and onion to skillet. Cook, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- In a bowl stir together sour cream, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Add sour cream mixture, milk, and broth to skillet. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook 1 minute more.
- Add chicken and Madeira or sherry; heat through. Serve over Herbed Biscuits. Sprinkle with additional sliced green onions if desired.
- For Herbed Biscuits: In a mixing bowl stir together biscuit mix, green onions and basil. Add milk; stir just until dough clings together.
- On a floured surface knead dough 10 to 12 strokes. Roll out to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut dough into 12 biscuits. Reroll the trimmings as necessary.
- Bake biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet in a preheated 425°F (220°C) oven for about 12 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): calories - 406, fat - 14 g., cholesterol - 78 mg., protein - 35 g., carbohydrate - 34 g., sodium - 797 mg.