Chicken with Orange and Lemon Sauce
Breaded chicken breasts served with a sweet zesty orange sauce.
12 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup sliced almonds (optional)
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a small bowl beat together eggs and milk. Add 2 cups flour, salt and pepper. Beat all together until smooth.
- In a shallow dish or plate mix together the bread crumbs and almonds. Dip chicken in egg batter, then in bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter or margarine and sauté coated chicken in skillet 8 to 10 minutes. Place chicken in a lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish and bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- To Make Sauce: Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan mix together the Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, 1/4 teaspoon salt, cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon flour. Then stir in the orange juice, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup water. Mix all together and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils. Let boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter/margarine, the orange rind and the lemon rind to the orange sauce and stir together. Remove chicken from oven and pour orange sauce over warm chicken or put in a gravy boat for people to pour themselves.
Makes 12 servings.
Note: Submitted by a home cook, this recipe has not been tested by the Splenda® Test Kitchens.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 350; Calories from Fat: 80; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 110mg; Sodium: 240mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 5g; Protein: 34g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.