Chile Relleños with Sweet Pepper and Onion Sauce
Peppers stuffed with sautéed chicken and corn are served with a sweet chile sauce for an entrée with true South-of-the-Border flavor.
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed whole kernel corn
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 12-ounces)
1/2 cup (2-ounces) shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
8 small poblano or green peppers (about 2-ounces each)
Vegetable cooking spray
Sweet Pepper and Onion Sauce:
1 cup thinly sliced red peppers
1 cup thinly sliced yellow peppers
1 cup thinly sliced black or green peppers
1 cup thinly sliced onion
2 small cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons dark raisins
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
1 to 2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™
- For Chile Relleños: Sauté celery, corn and garlic in oil in medium skillet 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and cook 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat and stir in cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut stems from tops of peppers; cut out seeds, leaving peppers whole. Fill peppers with chicken mixture.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat until hot. Cook peppers on medium heat until dark brown on all sides; reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Serve peppers with Sweet Pepper and Onion Sauce.
- For Sweet Pepper and Onion Sauce: Sauté peppers, onion and garlic in oil in large skillet until tender. Stir in raisins and chili powder; cook 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth; heat to boiling.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into boiling mixture. Cook over medium heat until thickened; season to taste with vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool 2 to 3 minutes; stir in Equal® Spoonful™. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
Makes 4 servings. Serving Size: 2 small stuffed peppers with 5 tablespoons of sauce.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 370 cal., 36 g pro., 32 g carbo., 12 g fat, 80 mg chol., 898 mg sodium.
Food Exchanges: 3 1/2 Lean Meat, 1 1/2 Starch, 2 Vegetable.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.