Cranberry Walnut Apple Pie
A delicious twist to traditional apple pie! Wonderful when served warm with vanilla ice cream.
1 1/4 cups Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh cranberries
1/4 cup maple syrup
5 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
1 cup dry bread crumbs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large saucepan, mix together 1 cup Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and salt. Stir in cranberries and maple syrup. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir apples into simmering mixture, and continue to cook for 5 minutes, or until apples are tender. Remove from heat, and stir in the cornstarch and water mixture. Stir in walnuts. Pour apple mixture into pie shell; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, 3/4 cup flour, remaining 1/4 cup Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, and melted butter. Mix well, and sprinkle over apple filling.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 420 | Calories from Fat 170 | Fat 19g (sat 6g) | Cholesterol 15mg | Sodium 370mg | Carbohydrates 59g | Fiber 6g | Sugars 21g | Protein 6g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.