Double Yummy Yellow Cake
Try this version of yellow cake that is made with less than half of the sugar of regular cake, yet still tastes great.
1 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking
3 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups buttermilk - divided use
4 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Rich Chocolate Frosting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease and flour 2 eight-inch cake pans. Set aside.
- Place Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking, flour, baking powder and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Stir until well blended.
- Cut butter into chunks. Add to flour mixture. Mix at medium speed until mixture is crumbly in appearance (about one minute).
- Pour 1/4 cup buttermilk into the flour mixture. Mix at low speed until blended.
- Blend remaining buttermilk, egg yolks, and vanilla together in a small bowl. Add 1/2 of the mixture to the flour mixture. Mix at medium high speed until well blended (about 30 to 45 seconds). Scrape sides of bowl. Add remaining milk mixture. Mix until well blended. Scrape sides of bowl and mix again if necessary, to remove any lumps.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes on rack before removing from pans. Once cool, frost with Rich Chocolate Frosting, or as desired.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories: 250: Calories from Fat: 90; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 75mg; Sodium: 180mg; Total Carbs: 33g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars: 13g; Protein: 4g.
Exchanges Per Serving: (1/16th cake, no frosting): 2 Starches, 2 Fats.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.