Flan with Orange Sauce
All the taste of classic flan without the extra fat or sugar, served with a Mandarin orange sauce.
1 quart skim milk
5 large eggs
5 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 16 packets Equal® sweetener or 2/3 cup Equal® Spoonful™
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon Equal® for Recipes or 3 packets Equal® sweetener or 2 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™
1 cup fresh orange segments or canned drained Mandarin orange segments
Mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
- For Flan: Heat milk just to simmering in medium saucepan. Beat eggs until foamy in medium bowl; gradually whisk milk into eggs. Stir in Equal® and vanilla.
- Pour mixture through strainer into ungreased 1-quart casserole or soufflé dish. Place casserole in roasting pan on middle rack of oven and cover with lid or aluminum foil. Pour 2-inches hot water into roasting pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) until custard is set and sharp knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Remove dish from roasting pan and cool to room temperature on wire rack. Refrigerate until chilled, 5 to 6 hours.
- Spoon custard into dishes; top with Orange Sauce and orange segments. Garnish with mint.
- For Orange Sauce: Mix orange juice and cornstarch in small saucepan; heat to boiling. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in Equal®. Cool to room temperature; refrigerate until chilled.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 170 cal., 11 g pro., 20 g carbo., 5 g fat, 180 mg chol., 137 mg sodium.
Food Exchanges: 1 Milk, 1/2 Fruit, 1 Fat.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.