Gale Gand's Orange Vanilla Panna Cotta
A stunning dessert for entertaining or simply a delicious treat - an eggless vanilla-orange custard served with mixed berries.
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
4 cups whole milk
1/2 vanilla bean (split lengthwise)*
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
4 cups mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, sliced strawberries etc.)
- Slice or peel the rind off of the orange and cut into large strips. Set aside.
- Pour water into a small bowl. Slowly sprinkle gelatin over the water, allowing it to sit on top of the water. Do not stir the gelatin into the water. Let sit for about 10 minutes. The gelatin will slowly absorb the water.
- Pour the milk into a medium saucepan. Add vanilla bean and orange rind. Bring to a simmer. Remove milk from heat as soon as it begins to a simmer.
Add gelatin mixture while stirring constantly. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.**
- Add Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and stir. Pour the panna cotta through a fine meshed strainer into a pitcher with a spout. Pour into 8 ramekins or dessert cups.
- Chill panna cotta, uncovered, for two hours.
- When ready to serve, dip the ramekins or dessert cups into hot water for about 10 seconds to loosen the panna cotta from the cups. Unmold the panna cotta by placing a dessert plate on top of the ramekin. Holding firmly, turn the plate and ramekin over so that the panna cotta falls out of the mold and onto the dessert plate. Surround each panna cotta with 1/2 cup mixed berries.
Makes 8 servings.
*Substitute 1/2 teaspoon vanilla for the vanilla bean, if vanilla beans are unavailable.
**Briefly reheat milk if the gelatin does not dissolve completely when added to the milk mixture.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 110 | Calories from Fat 40 | Fat 4.5g (sat 2.5g) | Cholesterol 15mg | Sodium 60mg | Carbohydrates 15g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 9g | Protein 5g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.