Hawaiian Cake Roll
The sweet tropical flavored filling is baked with the cake.
1/2 cup almond slices, toasted
1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener - divided use
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease bottom and sides of a 15x10x1-inch jellyroll pan; line pan with waxed paper; grease and flour waxed paper. Sprinkle almond slices and coconut evenly in pan. Set aside.
- Drain pineapple reserving 1/4 cup juice. Squeeze excess liquid from crushed pineapple; drain well on paper towels.
- Combine 1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, cornstarch, and reserved 1/4 cup pineapple juice, stirring until cornstarch is dissolved; stir in pineapple. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Spoon over almond slices and coconut. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks at high speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale; gradually add 1/3 cup Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, beating constantly. Stir in oil and almond extract. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until foamy; gradually add remaining 1/3 cup Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and corn syrup, beating until stiff but not dry. Fold beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually fold into egg mixture. Spoon batter over pineapple filling, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Remove from oven.
- Sift 2 tablespoons powdered sugar on a cloth towel. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula and immediately turn out onto sugared towel. Starting at narrow end, roll cake; cool 30 minutes on a wire rack seam side down. Cut into 1-inch slices.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Calories 190 | Calories from Fat 70 | Fat 7g (sat 2.0g) | Cholesterol 85mg | Sodium 130mg | Carbohydrates 26g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 13g | Protein 5g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.