Hans Rockenwagner's German Apple Pancakes
Apples are baked into fluffy pancakes for a delicious breakfast treat.
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons granulated sugar
3 tart apples
4 large eggs
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 large egg whites
4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together; set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Combine whole eggs, milk and Splenda® Granulated Sweetener in a food processor.
- Whip egg whites in a separate bowl to soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites into the egg mixture. Add flour mixture into the batter and gently fold until well mixed.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter over medium heat in a medium-sized, oven-proof frying pan. Add apples and one tablespoon of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Cook until apples begin to brown. Pour 1/4 of the pancake batter into the pan.
- Place pan in the preheated oven and bake12 to 15 minutes or until firm.
- Remove pancake from pan by turning upside down onto a plate.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh fruit or creme fraîche, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 of pancake): Calories 180 | Calories from Fat 80 | Fat 9g (Saturated 4.5g) | Cholesterol 125mg | Sodium 280mg | Carbohydrates 20g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 12g | Protein 6g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.