Italian Lemon Cornmeal Cookies
These delicate lemon cookies have an excellent flavor, and the cornmeal gives them an interesting texture. They are great for adding variety to a cookie tray.
1/2 cup light butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup egg substitute
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Lightly oil a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Blend together butter, Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, and vanilla in a medium sized mixing bowl until butter is softened. Add egg substitute, lemon juice and zest. Mix briefly.
- Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder and nutmeg. Mix using a hand mixer on low speed (or by hand) until dough is formed. Do not over mix.
- Remove dough from bowl and divide in half. Roll each half into a log approximately 1 inch thick in diameter. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze 1 to 2 hours, allowing dough to chill and become firm.
- Remove dough from freezer, unwrap and cut into slices approximately 1/4-inch thick. Place cookies on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 27 cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/27 of recipe; 1 cookie): Calories 60 | Calories from Fat 25 | Fat 3.0g (sat 1.5g) | Cholesterol 5mg | Sodium 45mg | Carbohydrates 7g | Fiber 0g | Sugars 0g | Protein 1g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.