Kevin Dunn's Peach Shortcake
Chef Kevin Dunn claims that these are his favorite biscuits. They are made healthy by eliminating the use of hydrogenated oil typically found in store bought biscuits.
2 cups Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 pounds fresh or frozen peach slices
2 tablespoons Granulated Splenda® No Calorie Sweetener
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Granulated Splenda® No Calorie Sweetener
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons Benecol® Regular Spread, chilled well and cut into cubes
1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk or soy milk
- Combine 2 cups Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, orange juice, salt and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture over peaches; cool to room temperature. Cover and chill I hour.
- Combine Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a clean coffee grinder; process until smooth. Store in an air-tight container.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut BENECOL® into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly; add milk stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Using a large ice cream scoop, drop batter onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with half the powdered Splenda® Granulated Sweetener mixture.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Spoon peach mixture over shortcakes; sprinkle with remaining powdered Splenda® Granulated Sweetener.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 280 | Calories from Fat 50 | Fat 5.0g (sat 1.0g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 590mg | Carbohydrates 50g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 16g | Protein 6g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.