Kevin Rathbun's Blueberry Buttermilk Tart
with Blueberry Sorbet
Enjoy this double blueberry treat. It's even more delicious when berries are fresh-picked in season.
1 (9-inch) pre-baked tart shell
2 large eggs
1/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon heavy cream
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/3 cups water
1 3/4 cups Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
8 cups blueberries
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice - divided use
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Fit pie crust into a 9-inch tart pan according to package directions. Trim off excess pastry along edges. Line pastry with aluminum foil, and fill with pie weights.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. Remove weights and foil; bake 3 additional minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Decrease temperature to 325°F (160°C).
- Whisk together eggs, Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking, buttermilk, lemon juice, zest, cream, and butter. Add flour and salt, whisking until blended.
- Place blueberries evenly in bottom of tart shell. Pour buttermilk mixture over blueberries.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until tart is set. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with a scoop (1/2-cup) of Blueberry Sorbet. Save remaining sorbet for another dessert.
- To make sorbet: combine water and Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend dissolves. Set aside.
- Combine blueberries and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a saucepan; heat mixture over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until the blueberries are soft.
- Process half the blueberry mixture, Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend mixture, lemon juice and zest in a blender or food processor. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding pulp. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients. Cover and chill.
- Pour into container of an ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturers directions.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 520 | Calories from Fat 120 | Fat 14g (sat 6g) | Cholesterol 70mg | Sodium 200mg | Carbohydrates 87g | Fiber 5g | Sugars 50g | Protein 5g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.