Lemon Brazo de Gitano
This Spanish cake, Brazo de Gitano (gypsy’s arm) is a moist rolled sponge cake with lemon pudding filling and is a traditional special occasion cake.
1 cup chilled heavy cream
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
2 sugar-free vanilla pudding cups
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
4 large eggs
1/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Prepare Lemon Filling: Whip heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Mix pudding cups, lemon juice and zest together in a separate bowl. Gently fold pudding mixture into whipped cream. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare Cake: Preheat oven to Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray that has added flour.
- Beat eggs, Splenda® Sugar Blend, and salt on high speed until mixture is light and fluffy and has doubled in size. Reduce speed to low and fold in lemon zest and flour.
- Pour batter onto prepared pan, spreading evenly over entire surface.
- Bake cake 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Place clean dish towel on work surface and dust with powdered sugar. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen. Flip warm cake over onto the dish towel. Remove pan and parchment paper. Roll cake and cool to room temperature.
- Unroll cake and spread filling over cake surface. Roll again. Chill until ready to serve or cut and serve immediately.
Makes 12 servings.
Serving suggestion: Slice the cake on a bias and serve with fresh berries and a sprig of mint.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 150 | Calories from Fat 80 | Fat 9g (sat 5.0g) | Cholesterol 100mg | Sodium 110mg | Carbohydrates 14g | Fiber 0g | Sugars 7g | Protein 3g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.