Lofty Lemon Meringue Pie
Spread the meringue on a piping hot filling. Take care to seal meringue to the crust to help prevent weeping. The addition of meringue powder allows for a mile-high meringue without the worry of uncooked egg whites.
1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust
1 1/2 cups Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 3/4 cups water
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/4 cup meringue powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/4 cup light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Fit one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of pie crust with a fork. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- Whisk together 1 1/2 cups Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1 3/4 cups water and egg yolks in a non-aluminum heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil 1 minute, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter, lemon juice and lemon peel. Spoon into pastry shell.
- Combine meringue powder, cornstarch, water and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer for two minutes. Gradually add Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and corn syrup, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge of pastry.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 8 servings.
Note: Meringue powder is a made from dried egg whites and is used to replace fresh eggs in recipes where egg whites are uncooked or not cooked to 160°F (70°C). Meringue powder can be found in the baking section of your grocery store or at craft and cake decorating stores.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 260 | Calories from Fat 120 | Fat 13g (sat 4.5g) | Cholesterol 115mg | Sodium 190mg | Carbohydrates 33g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 11g | Protein 4g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.