Lorena Garcia's Bienmesabe with Tropical Fruits
This feather light cake is infused with lemon and lime oils and is topped with a coconut caramel sauce and fresh fruit.
1/2 lemon, zested
1/2 lime, zested
3/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 large eggs
3/4 cup self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
1/2 cup Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup strawberries, pineapple, mango, green apples cut in small dice
1 tablespoon Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cake Directions: beat lemon peel, lime peel, Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking, and salt at high speed with an electric mixer 10 minutes. Add vanilla and beat 10 additional minutes at high speed.
- Remove and discard the lemon and lime peels. Gradually sift flour and fold into the egg mixture using a spatula. Do not over mix. Spoon the batter into ungreased pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan carefully. Cool in pan 40 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan, using a narrow metal spatula; remove from pan.
- Arrange a slice of cake in the center of serving plate. Drizzle with sauce. Top with fruit and a dollop of whipped topping.
- Sauce Directions: whisk together coconut milk and egg yolk; set aside.
- Combine skim milk and cornstarch in a medium saucepan, whisking until smooth. Add the Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend and vanilla. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Whisk the coconut milk mixture into the Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend mixture. Cook over medium heat until small bubbles appear. Set aside to cool.
- Topping Directions: stir together diced fruit and Splenda® Granulated Sweetener in a small bowl. Sprinkle with chopped mint if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 440 | Calories from Fat 100 | Fat 11g (sat 6g) | Cholesterol 215mg | Sodium 370mg | Carbohydrates 61g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 42g | Protein 9g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.