Pecan Praline Sweet Potato Pie
A crunchy nut topping is layered between a sweet potato mixture and on the top of this unique tasting pie.
2/3 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup Equal® Spoonful*
1/4 cup dark molasses
3 tablespoons stick butter or margarine, melted
Pastry for single crust 9-inch pie
2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
1/2 cup Equal® Spoonful**
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon rum extract or 2 tablespoons rum
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups evaporated fat-free milk
- For Praline Topping: Combine pecans, 2/3 cup Equal®, molasses and melted butter. Set aside.
- For Pie Filling: Roll pastry on floured surface into circle 1-inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate.
- Ease pastry into plate; trim and flute edge. Set aside.
Combine sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup Equal®, eggs, rum extract and spices in mixing bowl on medium speed of mixer. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- Spoon half of praline topping over bottom of pie pastry. Pour in sweet potato mixture. Bake in preheated 425°F (220°C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F (150°C). Carefully spoon remaining praline topping over top of pie. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until filling is firm. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 servings.
*May substitute 16 packets Equal sweetener
**May substitute 12 packets Equal sweetener
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): calories 360, protein 8 g, carbohydrate 39 g, fat 20 g, cholesterol 72 mg, sodium 254 mg.
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 4 fat.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.