Plums will continue to ripen once picked. If plums are not quite ripe, store at room temperature for 2 to 3 days until they give slightly to gentle pressure.
4 pounds ripe plums
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 (1.75 ounce) package low methoxyl pectin with calcium*
1 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Wash jars and lids in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Fill boiling-water canner half full with water; add jars and water to cover. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Place lids in water to cover in a small saucepan; bring water to a simmer. Simmer until ready to use. Remove and drain jars and lids, one at a time, as needed for filling.
- Fill a Dutch oven 3/4 full with water; bring to a boil. Immerse plums for 20 seconds or until skins easily peel away; remove with slotted spoon and plunge into ice water. Slip skin off plums using a paring knife. Cut plums in half; remove pits. Place plums in food processor. Process in batches until finely chopped. Measure exactly 5 cups of fruit.
- Combine plums, lemon juice, and pectin in a large saucepan, stirring until pectin dissolves. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bring mixture to a full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and grated lemon peel, stirring until Splenda® Granulated Sweetener dissolves. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- Ladle hot jam immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/4-inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on rack in canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil.
- Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing center of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.) Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year. Once opened, store refrigerated and use within 2 weeks.
Makes 80 (1 tablespoon) servings. Yield: 5 half-pint jars.
*If using a pectin product with separate pectin and calcium packets, follow the package directions to mix calcium water. Use 4 teaspoons pectin powder and 4 teaspoons calcium water. Follow package directions for preparing recipe.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 tablespoon): Calories 15 | Calories from Fat 0 | Fat 0g (sat 0g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 0mg | Carbohydrates 4g | Fiber 0g | Sugars 3g | Protein 0g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.