Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Marshmallow Fluff Icing
Chef Rebecca Rather's recipe for peanut butter flavored cupcakes, baked with a chocolate surprise in the center and topped with a fluffy marshmallow frosting.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup 2% low-fat milk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon molasses
1/2 bar bittersweet chocolate, cut into 12 squares
5 extra large egg whites
3/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon chocolate sprinkles or chocolate covered animal crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray two giant muffin pans (6 cup volume each) with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine flour, Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking, baking powder, and salt, in a mixing bowl, stirring until blended. Add milk, butter, peanut butter, vanilla, and molasses; beat at low speed with an electric mixer until well combined. Add eggs and beat at medium speed until lightly blended, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each cup half full. Place one piece chocolate in center of each cup of batter; top evenly with remaining batter.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until muffins are lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
- Combine egg whites, cream of tarter and Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking in the top of a double boiler; stirring until blended. Cook over simmering water 3 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg white mixture at low speed with an electric mixer for 5 minutes; increase speed to high and beat 5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
- Spread icing over cupcakes. Place cupcakes in a baking pan. Broil 5 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially open) until icing is lightly browned.
- Optionally, decorate frosted caps with garnishes when cooled.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 cupcake): Calories 330 | Calories from Fat 110 | Fat 12g (sat 6g) | Cholesterol 55mg | Sodium 190mg | Carbohydrates 43g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 27g | Protein 7g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.