Rebecca Rather's Splendid in Pink Cake
Tea parties and pink lace go with this girl’s hat cake.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups Splenda® Sugar Blend
3 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
3 (8 ounce) packages low-fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
3 drops pink food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust baking racks one-third and two-thirds of the way from bottom of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and flour two 4-inch rounds and one 9-inch round cake pan; line with parchment paper. Butter and flour the parchment paper.
- Beat butter and Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking in large mixing bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg whites and vanilla and beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add one-third of flour mixture to batter; beat at medium speed until blended. Add half of buttermilk and beat at medium speed until blended. Continue adding flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating until blended after each addition.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans; pour half into 9 inch pan then divide the remaining batter between the two smaller pans. Bake 4-inch cakes 20 to 25 minutes on one rack and 9-inch cake 25 to 35 minutes on a separate rack, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean and tops are lightly browned. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
- Place 9-inch cake layer on a serving plate and spread top and sides with frosting; layer with two 4-inch cakes and spread top and sides of each layer with frosting. Decorate as desired.
- Frosting Directions: beat cream cheese and butter at high speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking, beating until blended. Add just enough food coloring to make a light pink, beating until well combined.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 550 | Calories from Fat 250 | Fat 28g (sat 17g) | Cholesterol 80mg | Sodium 470mg | Carbohydrates 57g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 30g | Protein 11g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.