Rhubarb Strawberry Pie
A delicious sweet-tart filling combines fresh or frozen rhubarb with sliced fresh apples and a hint of lemon juice. The fruit mixture is topped with oats, nuts and raisins before baking.
Pastry for single-crust 9-inch pie
3 cups 1-inch rhubarb pieces or 1 (16-ounce) package frozen unsweetened rhubarb, thawed, undrained
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups sliced strawberries
1 2/3 cups Equal® Spoonful*
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Roll pastry on floured surface into circle 1-inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into plate; trim and flute edge. Pierce bottom and side of pastry with fork.
- Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven 10 to 12 minutes or until pastry is golden. Cool on wire rack.
- Cook rhubarb in large covered saucepan over medium heat 5 minutes or until rhubarb releases liquid. Combine water, flour, cornstarch and lemon juice. Stir into rhubarb. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened and rhubarb is almost tender, stirring frequently. Stir in strawberries. Cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Stir Equal® and nutmeg into fruit mixture. Spoon into baked crust.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly. Cover edge of crust with aluminum foil if browning too quickly. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.
*May substitute 40 packets Equal sweetener.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): calories 175, protein 2 g, carbohydrate 26 g, fat 5 g, cholesterol 5 mg, sodium 64 mg.
Food Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.