Rice Pudding with Mango Sauce
Creamy rice pudding is topped with a sweet mango syrup and toasted slivered almonds.
2 cups short grain rice
10 cups skim milk
3 cinnamon sticks
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons raisins
1/4 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
8 ounces unsweetened mango juice
2 tablespoons Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
- For Pudding: Combine rice, milk, cinnamon sticks, salt and grated orange peel in a large saucepan. Bring milk to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and the mixture thickens stirring frequently.
- Mix in vanilla, raisins, and Splenda® Granulated Sweetener. Remove cinnamon sticks and discard. Place pudding in refrigerator to chill.
- For Mango Sauce: Stir together mango juice and Splenda® Granulated Sweetener in a medium saucepan. Over medium-low heat reduce juice by half or until syrupy (about 25 to 30 minutes). Place in refrigerator to chill. Garnish pudding with sauce.
- For Topping: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix almonds and Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend in a small bowl. Place on greased baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until almonds are toasted. Sprinkle on top of rice pudding.
Makes 8 servings. Serving Size: 1/2 cup rice pudding, 1 tablespoon sauce, 1 tablespoon sugared almonds.
Note: Contest submission by: Gerardo Avalos of Irvine, California.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 300 | Calories from Fat 100 | Fat 11g (sat 2.0g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 140mg | Carbohydrates 42g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 26g | Protein 4g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.